Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Day 14: Not Such a Gas



Few new problems: One my concern, one the contractor's problem. First, my concern: In digging the new addition, the workers uncovered the gas pipe that was previously buried in the dirt. It looks pretty bad. The plumber says we need to replace it.

His price: $900.

Whoa! I called the Gas Company, and talked to an operator who sounded like she didn't know what the hell she was talking about. She said she couldn't send out a worker unless we suspected the pipe was leaking (which I don't believe -- there's no smell and no hissing sound). In that case, she said not to worry -- we didn't need to replace the pipe.

What, me worry? Well, this story, for starters, makes me worry. But I don't want to shell out $900 either. I'm having our regular plumber, Tom, check it out tonight. Hopefully he'll have a more reasonable quote.

Second problem: There's no water service in the guest house anymore. Apparently the workers cut one of the pipes that brought water to the guest house. But hey, they cut it, they've gotta fix it. So the plumber was supposed to spend part of today re-establishing service. Guess we'll find out tonight if it worked.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home